Tuesday, August 3, 2010

2010 US National Champs Sol Vista Colorado

2010 US Nationals was super fun. I was stoked to ride a "jumpy" course as I had practiced large gap jumps for the last year.

Our condo wasn't ready when we arrived so instead of bumming we decided to go walk the course. My sister and dad walked up the entire course with me. There were several large moto style gap jumps that looked like some serious fun. We descended the pro course and it had some really sick features.

Since our condo wasn't cleaned up yet we ate dinner at the base of the resort and some of the Transition factory team were sitting at the table next to us. After dinner I rode the pump track in the dark for about an hour. Pump tracks are super fun and really improve both pumping (which saves/increases momentum) and cornering acceleration.

The next day I met up with an old friend, Ace Savarese from Florida. We took some practice runs together and then had lunch with our parents on the plaza. Practice was difficult because of all the slower riders on the course. It was difficult to get a good "feel" for the course at race speed.  Here is a picture from a practice run.


During lunch Ace's parents introduced me to Ethan Quehl, a professional gravity rider from Georgia. Ethan was very gracious in offering advice about professional relationships. I will remember his wise words for the rest of my life.

I was also introduced to Barry Nobles during lunch. I did not know much about Barry prior to this encounter, but after watching him ride 4x I am a believer. This guy rips. Watch for him as an up and comer in World Cup 4X races this coming year. He has a super fast gate and is very fit.

DH race day was weird as I had taken a huge beater during 4x qualifying. I wasn't even sure I could race. My dad gave me some ibu and while my practice run was painful it was definitely possible to race. My race run was fairly smooth with just a couple of mistakes. My mom said I was the smoothest rider (thanx mom) by far and I ended up on the podium in 3rd place which was my goal.



1 comment:

  1. Looking good Galen keep up the hard work, and keep having fun!

    ReplyDelete