Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Crankworx 2011 Day 5/Air DH Race Day

Wheels, wheels, wheels.  Today my dad was going to pre-ride the enduro course to give me the beta and lo and behold someone had ripped off our trail bike wheelset out of our truck.  No pre-ride today maybe tomorrow.   To add to the wheel drama I failed to switch my wheelset to race wheels for the Air DH.  Doh!!!!!  And my mom's car had several wheels/tires without enough pressure in them and to top it all off someone ripped of her windshield wipers.

Back to the race.......the wheels cost me about 3 seconds and I failed to ride the faster line as I went into autopilot and hit some jumps that were not necessary to hit.....another second or two.  Never the less, I was crushed by a local kid (13 seconds) and even if everything went off to perfection would have had a hard time making top three (podium).   Ended up 8th out of 43 kids.

At this point in my racing career the local knowledge is hard to overcome.  Eventually my breadth of experience will trump local knowledge but at this point its hard to take, as podiums are thin and far between.  After talking with several pros I am going to change my training regime and should be very competitive next year.

On a lighter note.......several of the pro Air DH racers made the decision to not race and just steez out the course.  Brendon and Troy came down together (one waited for the other) and had some fun doing it.  That is the thing about Whistler........no matter what happens.......you can always have a good time.

Tomorrow should be interesting...........           

No comments:

Post a Comment