Friday, July 22, 2011

Crankworx 2011 Day 7/The GS.....Finally a Podium

The Giant Slalom Race was today.  I have been riding the course for fun all week, so I know it quite well.  It is similar to riding A-Line except faster with a slightly more technical nature (step up and step downs).  I was debating whether to use my hardtail or my DH bike, but was convinced that it would be faster and smoother on the big bike.  In practice I timed three runs and they were all pretty consistent.

In this race you had to take two runs and it was the combined total of both runs.  My first run went well and I ended up in third.  I was a little nervous for my next run though.  Never the less I came down in the next run and got third again so I was on the podium.  It feels good to finally get that monkey off my back, because I finally got one.
Finally....a podium

This Sunday is the Kokanee Canadian Open Enduro  It is going to be a very tough race and is set up with a format similar to European style enduro's.  There are five timed sections linked together with four transition stages.  The transitions are not timed but have time limits.  If a rider doesn't make the limit they are cut from the race.

A couple of the transition stages have navigational challenges through complicated trail networks.  Jack Iles, a local ripper, and prince of Crankworx, was very generous and helped me out.   Together we pre-road the Enduro Track.

Jack Iles the Prince of Crankworx


It should be quite an interesting race, the course is long and  has one brutal climb, up Blackcomb Mountain followed by a long and techy downhill.  We stumbled into a bear that ran across the trail in front of us then stopped.  It wasn't like most bears here that don't pay any attention to humans and are busy eating grass and blueberries.  This bear was interested in us.  It even started walking toward us at one point.  We ended up walking around it and it didn't bug us again.    

Mitch Ropelato and Jill Kitner are the King and Queen of Crankworx 2011.  Mitch is the only Pro man to win two races at Crankworx this year, and Jill killed it in all the races she entered.

Mitch and Jill the King and Queen of Crankworx
   

No comments:

Post a Comment