Saturday, July 16, 2011

Crankworx 2011 Day One/Dual Slalom Race Day

     Today started with a Canadian Open DH practice run.  I stopped lots of times to look at the course, and I accomplished my goal, which was to begin the process of learning the course.  There are many lines in most parts of the course, but few turns.  Its pretty much straight down the hill with tons of roots.  With all the rain we have had, it has gotten pretty rowdy, rough and fun.

After the DH course scope out it was time for Dual Slalom qualifying.  It was wet and greasy and I ended up qualifying in 6th place out of 12 kids, which isn't so hot.  It was, however, good enough to get me into the brackets.
Getting over the techie spine at the start of the Dual Slalom
Johannes Fischbach and Guido Tschugg during practice


Next it was back to the Canadian Open DH course for more practice.  This time I used a spike tire (Maxxis Wet Scream) on my front wheel and the course felt more manageable.  After a couple more DH runs it was back to the Dual Slalom for the finals.

      In my first heat I raced a local boy and got beat by a pretty big margin down the first run.  Dual Slalom is more about being consistently fast than being a one hit wonder.  On the next run we switched courses and the racer with the smaller composite time wins and advances.  During this run he slipped a pedal and pretty much almost died.  I advanced on which meant I was in the top 4.  I got beat both times in my next heat, which meant I was in the small final racing for third place.  My two final runs were pretty fast but not fast enough to take third so I ended up in 4th.  Both the van Steenbergen bro's looked way fast and they both won along with Jill Kitner.  Tom and Bas van Steenbergen as well as Jill Kitner race for the same bike company as myself....Transition.   It is always nice to see some Transition's up there on the podium.  Dual slalom is not my cup of tea so I know I can do better in the future races.

Soooooooo........the mens Pro Dual Slalom was sick with Mitch Rip aloto, the local Utah boy taking the win.  Way to represent Mitch. 
        

No comments:

Post a Comment