Friday, July 15, 2011

First Full Day in Whistler/Crankworx Dual Slalom Practice

Today was a really fun day here in Whistler.  A couple of warmup runs, then dual slalom practice, followed by an unbelievable after dinner freeride sesh with a bunch of great riders.

The day started with two runs down Dirt Merchant and lower A line.  I am going to do 6 races while here so after the warm up runs I met up with my dad and we went to athlete registration to get our race packet.  On the way to lunch we ran into Cody Kelly and Mitch Ropelato unloading their van.   

After lunch I got my 4x bike and headed up to practice.  I started out working on the top part and slowly worked my way down the course.  I'm still having trouble in one section, but I should be able to get it down in practice tomorrow.  The van Steenbergen brothers are looking very fast.

Bas van Steenbergen looking fast and smooth

Me working out the bugs

Kyle Strait squashing a double

Andrew Neethling and Danny Hart/Giant Factory Team Riders


     Next I went back to our condo to eat then headed back out to have some DH runs.  At the bottom of the lift Troy Brosnan got a huge group of like 35 people to go ride Crab Apple Hits.  Crab Apple Hits is a strait trail with 5 or 6 perfect 40 to 50 foot doubles that kick you 15 to 20 feet up in the air.

     It was crazy once we got to the start of Crab Apple Hits.  Nobody would go but then everybody went at once.   People were bumping bars but by the time we got to the first jump we all got into a very tight single file line.  It was the most fun I have had on my bike in a very long time.

     I ended the day riding with Cody Kelly, Mitch Ripalotto and Elliot Jackson a Yeti Team rider ....  I cased a 20 foot step down to a big roller, crashed, and broke 2 spokes on a set of practice wheels.  Day over and in the record books fun fun fun.          

No comments:

Post a Comment